#LifeCourse: Questions to Think About

QUESTIONS TO ALWAYS THINK ABOUT Along Your Journey

The following are questions to consider no matter the particular life category or age. These are questions you might ask or keep in mind whether you are just starting your journey, or are somewhere along the way. These questions are not intended to be all inclusive or complete, but will help you get started with some general questions to keep in mind as you progress along the life course.

• What are other people my age doing (for work, fun, etc.) and what adaptations or accommodations are needed so I have similar life experiences?

• Am I learning how to create or maintain community connections and social capital?

• How could assistive technology, adaptations or accommodations assist me in living the life I want?

• Am I learning how to access and integrate a variety of types of support (relationships, community assets, technology) in addition to any paid supports I receive?

• Do you have someone to talk to about your feelings, emotions, and concerns, so that you don’t feel alone?

• Do you feel empowered to ask questions or disagree with professionals, and are you helping me know questions to ask and how to assert my wishes/opinions to professionals and supporters? 
• Are you helping me create a vision for my own life and have the life experiences to get me there? 
• How are you encouraging self-determination at all ages, stages, and aspects of my life? 
• Are you always keeping an eye to the future or the next stages of my life and helping me learn to do the same?

Missouri Family to Family (2015). Charting the Life Course: A Guide for Individuals, Families, and Professionals. Kansas City, MO: University of Missouri-Kansas City Institute for Human Development, University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities.

Comments