Skip to main content


Showing posts from April 24, 2016

Transition IEP #sped

For students who will be turning 14 or entering into the 9th grade (or earlier if determined necessary by the CCC), the case conference committee (CCC) develops a Transition IEP to help the student begin working on the skills the student needs to meet his/her goals for after high school. Transition goals may include:  • Going to school at a university, community college, or vocational/technical school,  • Participating in on-the-job training,  • Getting a specific job or exploring specific career options,  • Applying for adult services from a state or community agency, and/or  • Living independently.  When the CCC is going to make decisions about the student’s goals for what s/he will do after high school or about what the student needs in order to meet those goals, the student must be invited to the CCC meeting. The parent(s) decides if the student will attend the CCC meeting until the student legally becomes an adult (turns 18 years of age). If the student does not attend the

Share your Voice and VOTE

The Indiana primary election takes place on  Tuesday, May 3, 6am-6pm , local time.  As noted in previous updates, many races are contested this cycle. View the  list of candidates  by political party and district.   Verify your polling place , and remember to take your photo ID. Registered voters may select either ballot in Indiana. The  Indianapolis Star   offers information; simply enter your address to find your ballot and candidate info. The  League of Women Voters  offers nonpartisan voter information as well.  Enter your address to build your ballot . If you are a person with a disability, and you are unable to cast your vote privately and independently on primary election day, May 3rd, contact IPAS at 800-622-4845. When you are prompted, enter extension #466. Leave a message with your name, phone number and issue. Your call will be returned promptly.

Changing the IEP #sped

If the CCC makes changes to a student’s IEP, the school must provide the parent(s) with written notice before it can implement the changes. This written notice must also inform the parent(s) of what steps they may take should the parent(s) disagree with the proposed changes. Once parental consent to begin services is given the student’s parent(s) should always be included in decisions by the CCC. However, written consent from the parent(s) is not required to revise the IEP. After communicating with the parent(s) about the IEP changes being made, the school has to provide the parent(s) with written notice before it can implement any of the proposed changes. This written notice must also inform the parent(s) of what steps they may take, should the parent(s) disagree with the proposed changes. If the CCC has completed its annual review and/or revision of the IEP and the parent(s) and school agree to change the IEP without having the whole CCC getting together, the parent(s) and school

Written Notice and the IEP #sped

In addition to providing the parent(s) with a copy of the IEP, the school must also provide the parent(s) with a written notice that:  • Describes what the school is proposing or refusing to offer. For example, if the parent(s) asked for 30 minutes of speech therapy two times a week, but the school wants to provide 30 minutes one time per week, the written notice would say that the school is proposing speech therapy for 30 minutes each week and is refusing the request for 60 minutes of speech therapy each week;  • Describes all of the information the school used in decision-making;  • Explains why the school made its decision(s);  • Describes any other options the CCC considered; • Describes any other factors that are relevant to the school’s proposal or refusal;  • Explains that the parent(s) has protection under the procedural safeguards and how to obtain a copy of the safeguards;  • Explains what action the parent(s) can take if they disagree with what the school wants to do [

After The IEP is Developed #sped

Once an IEP has been developed, the school must provide a copy of the IEP at no cost to the parent(s) within 10 business days of the date of the CCC meeting. The school may also give the IEP to the parent(s) at the end of the meeting, or it may mail the IEP to the parent(s) at a later date as long as the parent(s) receives the IEP no later than 10 business days after the CCC meeting.  Parental consent (written permission) must be obtained for the school to provide special education services for the first time. Once the parent(s) has given consent for the school to provide special education services, the school must continue to provide special education services included in the current IEP unless the parent(s) revokes (withdraws) their consent for services.  Once parental consent to begin services is given the student’s parent(s) should always be included in decisions by the CCC. However, written consent from the parent(s) is not required to revise the IEP. After communicating with


One thing the CCC must consider is whether the student has any behaviors that interfere with the student’s learning or the learning of other students. If the student has these behaviors, the CCC is required to consider ways to address those behaviors, using positive behavioral interventions, strategies, and supports, planned interventions designed to prevent identified behaviors from occurring.  Regardless of the student’s disability, if s/he has problems learning because of continuing behavioral problems or if the student’s behavior is disruptive to other students, the CCC must consider whether specific interventions are needed to help the student learn new behaviors or skills. Any needed interventions must be included in the student’s IEP and should be consistently implemented wherever and whenever the behaviors occur. Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) – A process where data is collected and used to identify both a pattern of behavior and the reason or purpose of the behavio

Accommodations #sped

Students with disabilities may require instructional or testing accommodations. An accommodation “levels the playing field” without changing what is being taught or tested. An accommodation is “intended to reduce or eliminate the effects of a student’s disability,” but does not reduce what the student is expected to learn. A student with a disability might have an accommodation during testing that allows the student to take the same test as everyone else, but is given extra time to complete the test.  Accommodations must be used routinely in classroom situations in order for the CCC to apply the accommodation(s) to assessments. The student needs the opportunity to practice and become familiar with the accommodation. Routine practice in comfortable situations allow the student to become accustomed to the accommodation. It is not permissible to use an accommodation during high stakes testing situations if it is not used routinely in classroom assessment because the student needs to be

Related Services #sped

A related service is a developmental, corrective, or other supportive service that is provided to help a student benefit from his/her special education program. The CCC decides what related services, if any, a student needs. For example, a student who is deaf or hard of hearing may need an educational interpreter in order to participate in the school setting. Or, if a student who is orthopedically impaired needs physical therapy to help him/her learn to get around the school more independently. The most common related service is transportation. For a list of common related services and what each service includes, see 511 IAC 7-43-1.  The IEP must state the type of related service to be provided, when the service will begin and end, how frequently the service will be provided (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.), the length of the service (15 minutes, 30 minutes, one hour, etc.), and where the service will be provided. The IEP should be specific and detailed enough so that both the parent(s